Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Book Review - Paper Towns


Paper Towns by John Green, 2 stars out of 5

I read Fault in our Stars last year and rather enjoyed it. It wasn't life changing or something I foresee ever reading again, but it was a fun couple hours reading it. So last week when I was looking at a list of "Books You Should Read Before The Movie Comes Out This Year" (Some of those words probably didn't need capitalization, eh?), and saw another John Green book on it,  I decided to give it a try. 

Quite handily my library had it available as an eBook, so I've been using it as my "keep me awake when I'm nursing Simon in the middle of the night" read. But I never really got into it. Maybe I would have liked it better if I were reading it fully awake? But usually when I'm reading a novel for my middle-of-the-night reads I have a bit of a hard time putting them down and going back to sleep, but this one was always easy to set aside and forget about. 

I didn't love any of the characters, and just had a hard time caring about the plot in general. Pretty much the whole book is set over the course of the couple weeks before Q and his friends graduate from High School, and since I never went to high school (as Grant loves to remind me, ha ha), I can't say how true-to-life the setting and characters were, but my strongest feeling at the end of the book was a general feeling that if high school was anything like that I'm quite glad I missed it. 




No comments: