Thursday, May 3, 2012

Little blessings

Today I had several errands to run, nothing major, just small things at lots of different places, but getting the kids buckled and unbuckled multiple times always feels overwhelming to me.

The place I was dreading the most was the post office. We have 2 post offices within 5 min of our house. One has generally apathetic employees, but no parking lot, only street parking with meters. The other has a parking lot, but every time I've gone there with kids I feel like everyone there hates me for over-populating the planet or something, and the workers feel downright hostile.

Anyway, I decided for ease of dealing with Duncan and Karl to go to the one with the parking lot. I knew it was going to be hard carrying in the big box I had and the car seat carrier, and dealing with Duncan, so I said a little prayer that somehow there would be a nice person there that would help me with the doors (I know that seems like a really dumb thing to pray for... I just was imagining all these scenarios of Duncan running away and me holding a big box and a carrier and not able to do anything, and stuck trying to get in the 2 sets of doors... Okay, explaining it doesn't make it sound any less lame, but it felt like a very hard thing at the time...)

When I arrived at the post office I got the box balanced on my hip and had Karl in the other arm, and right then someone walked out of the post office, smiled at me, and held the first door. A smile and holding the door open - miracle! Then in the lobby there was another person who was getting their mail in their PO box who opened the 2nd door for me - Yay, I was in! THEN, there was a lady who took my box, and put it on the counter for me, and smiled at Karl, and a 2nd lady who started talking to Duncan, keeping him occupied.

To top it all off when I got to the counter the post office worker was actually nice, and told me to have a beautiful day when I left. They were all small things, but to me they all felt like little miracles, and it made my day.  

No comments: