Friday, May 25, 2012

Cereal

I found this on my computer today, I wrote it right after Grant and I got married. The memories made me smile and I decided to post it since I can't seem to write anything today :)

I try to be healthy. I try and exercise on a regular basis. I eat my vegetables, and always ignore my inner child and buy the bread that’s brown with the crunchy stuff in it instead of wonder bread. So when we went shopping yesterday, as Grant picked up his box of chocolate and peanut butter cereal, I dutifully walked over to the “grown-up” cereal section and picked up a granola-y looking concoction of “multigrain clusters”, because it told me it was a "healthy way to start my day".

So this morning, as I crunch on my “healthy” cereal, which, by the way, has a weird aftertaste, I start reading my cereal box. Unlike my husbands chocolate cereal, that had games on the back, mine only had an advertisement for energy bars. So for lack of anything better to do, I turn my box to the nutrition information. First thing I see is that my cereal has 13g of sugar. Not being any kind of dietician, I don’t know what that means, but it must be good, because it’s on healthy cereal, so I’m guessing that’s a low amount. Just for the sake of comparison, I grab my husbands cereal box. Sugar, 13g. Wait a second, that must be some kind of mistake (double check…..), nope, both cereals have the same amount of sugar. I keep reading, thinking somewhere my cereal will come out on top. Calories in mine:190. Calories in his: 130. Okay, it will get better, I’m sure, next on the list is Fat. Mine: 3g, His 3g. Hm. Neither of them have any cholesterol, his cereal has 23g of Carbohydrates, mine has 36g. His has more Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D, actually, it has more of every beneficial looking item on the list. The ONLY place my cereal seems to come out on top is Sodium. Mine: 95mg, his: 180mg.

By the time I had finished this comparison, my husband was feeling pretty smug, and I was feeling pretty sheepish. I guess I’m going to have to go back to eating cheerios every morning. Until then, I had something important to do. I walked to the sink, and watched with satisfaction as the disposal ground up those healthy little multi-grain clusters into oblivion, and poured myself a big bowl of chocolate peanut butter cereal. Boy was it good.

2 comments:

Erin Axson said...

I always have to laugh at myself because I pick the cereal that has a cartoon character on the front. This makes me feel not so bad about my choice!

ash said...

Haha. Love this story. Well told.