Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Contribution

It's been a while... A busy couple of months, but isn't life always busy? So that's really not an excuse.

Last time I posted, I just posted that quote from President Hinkley about introspection, and my dear friend Marie asked "How does someone contribute and help their kids contribute when they must be so busy contributing to their children all the time?" And I thought that was a really good question, and I've been thinking about it.

Both my moms have been on my mind a lot this last month, so I started to think about my moms, and the contributions they have made/are making. I feel so incredibly blessed both in the family I was raised in, and the family I married into, and I have AMAZING moms. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of both my moms is this pervading sense of acceptance, and love. And then they both just have this ability to look at any situation or person in life and put a positive spin on it/them. Every time I spend time with either of them I come away feeling inspired to be a better person myself.

Sometimes it is SO EASY for every second of my day to get filled up with just the business of raising little boys and keeping a house that it's really hard for me to feel like I have time to contribute to the world in any significant way. But as I thought of my moms, I thought maybe the best way I can contribute right now is through the attitude I have as I go about my days. Maybe if I'm a little more kind, loving, accepting, supportive to the people I interact with doing those mundane things, maybe that's a contribution I can make, without another check-mark on my to-do list.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I'm so glad I found this post! Thanks for responding to my question. I think that is really profound. The contribution we make is sometimes going about the contribution we've already committed to (of being parents) in a more sincere and loving way. That is what I got from you, anyway! It refreshes things so much for me to just simply consider how to do what I already do in a better way.

AnnaM said...

Thank YOU for making me think more about contribution, it was something I needed! I miss you and our discussions we used to have... We need to live closer so we can have discussions on raising little kids now :)