Monday, August 9, 2010

Contentment

I guess this is kind of a continuation of last weeks post. I feel like I talk about this all the time... perhaps one of these days I will figure something out and I can stop thinking about it :). I just have been thinking about the desire for change vs. contentment with where you are today. Life is a constant attempt to find a place of balance, and this is a place where I guess I just don't feel that balance.

I think that a lot can be said for change, and not being afraid of change. But I think that I am missing out on enjoying a lot of moments because I am constantly looking ahead for the next change in life. I guess I fear missing out on some opportunity or life changing experience by being too complacent, but I think I'm just putting my complacency in the wrong places. I think I tend to be overly complacent in a lot of areas that I feel are "small" things (but when I say them they don't sound small and I feel dumb... I guess I just categorize them as small so I don't feel so bad about not making them a priority) like my health and home organization and such.

Anyways, as I type it's helping clarify in my mind what I've been feeling, and I guess it's that I feel like I am constantly yearning for change in the areas of life I can't control, but there are SO many areas in my life that are in need of improvement that I CAN control. So I need to move my complacency to the areas I can't control, and just enjoy the ride more, and move my motivation for change to things that I have control over.

I'm going to end with this mostly unrelated quote that Grant just sent me from The Shallows:
"The internet seizes our attention only to scatter it"

No comments: