Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Forest Lost in Trees


This is Duncan trying to put one doll shoe and one of Jefferson's shoes on his stuffed frog, he was very frustrated the frog couldn't keep them on. 2 year olds can be so fun sometimes.

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts on yesterdays post. I really appreciated each of your perspectives, and it helped me step back a bit and look at the bigger picture and not stress about the details so much.

Erin sent me an email, and I wanted to post part of it, because I thought it was great -

About the shirt . . . I totally know what you mean. I like the quote, "don't take council from your fears." Today I was reading a book that said something like, 'We live in a universe that says 'YES!' It is a YES universe. If we believe we will fail, it says YES. If we believe there is a scarcity of something, it says 'YES!' If we believe the world is a dangerous place, it says 'YES!' But if we believe in abundance, it says 'YES!' If we believe in things turning out for the best, it says 'YES!'" Also, when I met with Kirk yesterday he was saying how our brain makes lists of evidence of things. For example, if we believe the future is insecure, we make a list of evidence in our brain to support that; when we want to ACT against that belief, it's pretty much impossible for us to do so because our brain says, "There's no EVIDENCE for that! I CAN'T do that!"

So he said if we want to change our beliefs and our action habits, we have to start actively recording/looking for/creating evidence for the thing we want to believe. Anyway, about Jeff making friends, I think in the end the shirt is only important in that it has given you greif. It will not matter WHAT he wears, really, in the end. What matters most is that you love him (which you do) and that you believe in him (which you do.) I know he'll make friends; he'll be successful; he'll have fun. He's a smart, friendly kid.


I really liked that . I know I already talked about the book The Social Animal the other day, but that quote made me think of that book, and how much what we unconsciously believe influences our actions. And so I have been trying to be more aware of the limiting thoughts I have, and change them for more positive ones.

1 comment:

ash said...

Anna, I'm on vacation and finally got to blogs and I just want to say congrats on the pregnancy! Also, you are a great mom no doubt. It really shows in these posts. And I am toally in agreeance with the fact that if you believe you can do something or be something you are much more likely to make it happen. It's the believing part that's hard to do, right?